5th September 2014 is Amazon Day in Brazil. Today people from all over this vast land come together in celebration of the rainforest that covers almost half of their country.
Celestial Green Ventures is celebrating alongside the Brazilians by creating a video using footage collected from our most recent trip to the Trocano Araretama Project area in Brazil. The video shows the Amazon locals’ opinions on the importance of protecting the rainforest and trees. Their opinions are of great importance to CGV as developers of the Trocano Project, because they give us invaluable insights into their greatest concerns. With this constant exchange of information, we are able to develop the project to fit their needs.
With the Amazon Rainforest covering 1.4 billion acres of the world and containing countless animal, plant and tree species, there’s no doubt of its immense environmental importance for the planet.
This celebration is not the only significant event on this date, as back on the 5th September 1850 the Amazonas State was also created.
However, the environmental initiatives don’t stop with Amazon Day this month. On the 21st September the Brazilians will celebrate Tree Day. On this day, the country undertake environmental activities, namely tree planting, in order to raise awareness of the importance of trees to the environment and our lives.
Facts about the Rainforest
The following facts by the United Nations help us grasp how extensive the rainforests truly are and why we need to protect them.
- The Amazon Rainforest makes up half of the planet’s remaining tropical forests (1.4 billion acres – WWF.com)
- More than half of the world’s 10 billion plant, animal and insect species live in tropical rainforests
- 137 species of plant, animal and insect species are lost every day due to rainforest deforestation; 50,000 species a year
- More than 20% of the world’s oxygen is produced by the Amazon rainforest
- Rainforests once covered 14% of the land’s surface; they now cover 6%
- A mere 1 hectare (2.5 acres) of rainforest can contain over 750 types of trees
- 25% of Western medicines are derived from rainforest ingredients (with less than 1% of tropical trees tested by scientists).
Celestial Green Ventures
Latest posts by Celestial Green Ventures (see all)
- Natural Capital Credits Fund Cocoa Depot Benefitting 35 Rural Producers - April 30, 2015
- Celestial Green Venture welcomes Alessandro Guerriero to the team - April 28, 2015
- Celestial Green Ventures is hiring a Digital Marketing Intern - April 14, 2015